Some of you saw the piece I did this morning on minimizing household allergens (for CTV's Canada AM). Here's the list of products and prices for all of the remedies I mentioned.
- Safe, non-toxic cleaners are now available so you can get rid of all of your harsh chemical cleaners. There's one cleaner that's made with food-grade ingredients and absolutely no chemicals. EcoMist is anti-bacterial, anti-microbial and anti-fungal and uses nano-colloidal technology to be lethal to germs, but easy on hands, skin and respiratory systems. Also a drop-dead-great cleaner and stain remover. It's available at Home Depot for about $9.
- The steam mop I was using to remove tons of extra dirt from a 'clean' kitchen floor is made by Shark. You can get it at Canadian Tire for about $100. There's also a small handheld model ($50) for disinfecting countertops, bathroom surfaces and car interiors.
- The non-toxic mold control product that cleans, kills and prevents mould and mildew growth is Concrobium, available at most hardware stores and Home Depot. $10
- The silk bedding that stops snoring, ends hot flashes and protects your bed from dust mites (and their allergen-rich excrement) is SmartSilk, available online only at http://www.smartsilk.com - Costs about $800 for a Queen-size set (mattress protector, duvet and pillow protectors), or about $400 for a crib-size set. SmartSilk is certified by the Canadian Asthma Society. There's a new '3 Easy Payments' option on the SmartSilk web site for people who want to pay for their new bedding on the installment plan.
- The room air cleaner is from 3M ($200) and uses Filtrete Maximum Allergen filters - the best 3 month disposable filter on the market. Filtrete Maximum Allergen filters also come in larger sizes for furnaces ($30).